The Municipality of Alexandria was established institutionally in 1890 (Alexandria, Egypt). Its management was under the control of the foreign dominion and of groups of interests. However, the operation of that institution significantly contributed to urban development through the implementation of infrastructure projects. Many Greeks were members of the board of directors, often forming the majority, as they participated using their foreign citizenship (British, French, Russian etc.).