Apostolos Ververis (Izmir, Turkey 1900 – Athens, Greece 1980) was first trained in photography at his birthplace, which he abandoned in 1922. He settled in Alexandria (Egypt), opening his own studio in 1927. He opened another studio in Athens in 1936, which closed just before the war. He then returned to Egypt. He worked as a war photographer in the Middle East and moved back to Greece in 1944. He took pictures of the ravages of war caused by the Germans in Greece as well as of the Greek civil war and of the political prisons on Makronisos (Greece), following an assignment by the Ministry of Military Affairs. He settled in Athens in 1948 and closed his photographic studio in Alexandria in 1952.